What is a ductless range hood, and how does it work?
When replacing old kitchen appliances with new ones, the most challenging task is to select the new reliable appliance. The main problem occurs while choosing Range Hood because the whole atmosphere of your kitchen depends on it. Range hoods have become a vital requirement of every kitchen. It is not wrong to say that they have become the need of the hour to work peacefully and calmly in the kitchen. With time people change their range hoods.
There are two types of range hoods. The ducted range hood ventilates the air while the Ductless range hood recirculates or recycles the air. So if you do not have any outlet chimney in your kitchen, you must install a ductless range hood as it works more efficiently and gives you more versatility. So let’s have a look at what is a ductless Range hood?
Ductless range hood
A ductless range hood is a mechanical fan or motor installed under your kitchen cabinet right over your cooktop to remove any pollutants from the air produced during cooking. To maintain a healthy environment in your kitchen, a ductless range hood comes in as a savior. Beneficially, instead of extracting air out of the kitchen, a ductless range hood cleans it through charcoal filters.
Ductless range hoods are also called Extractors because these hoods extract the impurities from the kitchen.
How does a ductless range hood work?
Interestingly, a ductless range hood uses only two components to work efficiently. One of those components is “A fan” that absorbs air from the kitchen to recycle it. While, the second component is “filters” that remove grease, oil, steam, smell, or any other pollutant from the kitchen. These filters are of three different types are Mesh filters, Charcoal filters, and Baffle filters. Each type of these filters is designed with different working systems and processes. Mainly, Commercial brands purify the air by using these filters.
As filters grab air and impurities, therefore they need to be cleaned regularly to work effectively.
Recirculating range hood
The ductless range hood is also known as recirculating range hood as it recirculates the kitchen’s air instead of venting it out through charcoal filters. The fan of recirculating range hood captures air and, after removing impurities, gets it back to the kitchen. Hence they are also called recirculating range hoods. These range hoods are mostly preferred because they recycle the air inside the kitchen instead of venting it outside.
Now let’s talk about how does ductless range hood looks like? So as these range hoods are made up of stainless steel, they blend with the color of your other kitchen appliances. So whenever you install the ductless range hood, it does not give your kitchen an awkward and sharp look.
Recirculating Cooker Hood
A recirculating cooker hood captures the air, filters it, and then pushes it back inside the kitchen. These hoods use charcoal filters to grab oil, grease, and smell. They do not remove the steam but maintain your kitchen environment by removing pollutants.
Advantages of ductless range hood
- Advantageously, the ductless range hood does not require any ventilation system to install. So the kitchens which do not have any other ventilation system can easily opt for a ductless range hood without any tension.
- As compared to ducted range hoods, the ductless range hoods are more efficient because they recycle the air inside the kitchen.
- Automatic turn on/off timer makes you free from time setting. Due to this unique feature, many commercial brands use ductless range hoods.
- One of the best things about ductless range holds their installation. Installation simplicity makes them quite favorable to use.
- Ductless range hoods are user-friendly.They can easily be used. It is not hard to operate them.
- Ductless range hoods are environment friendly because they help to make the atmosphere of the kitchen healthy.
- Warranty is provided for these ductless range hoods.
- Mostly ductless range hoods come with LED bulbs that evenly distribute light and are energy-saving too.
Drawbacks of ductless range hood
- Ductless range hood hoods filter to pick dirt, grease, oil, smell, etc., from the kitchen’s environment. These filters need to be cleaned or replaced with time for practical working.
- Some ductless range hoods may produce a sound that can obstruct while cooking.
- Measuring tape is required.
- Pencil is required to mark the location points.
- Drill is mandatory to create holes during installation.
- Screws are required to fit in the holes and tighten the hanging.
Installation steps of ductless range hood
Installation simplicity makes it user-friendly. You do not have to worry about its installation because it is relatively easy to install your range hood.
- Unpack your range hood.
- Take your measurements and check the distance at which you have to place your range hood.
- Make holes by using a drill at marked points.
- Apply screws into holes and tighten them.
- Hang your range hood carefully.
- Once your range hood is mounted, lift it to find the stud to drill in support screws.
- Choose that where do you want to connect the power to your range hood.
- Use wire strippers. Take the help of manuals to see the exact connection process.
- Install chimney through chimney bracket that comes with your range hood.
- Double-check that everything is secured.
- Lastly, you have to install the filters. Set them into the place.
- Turn your ductless range hood on and check how it is working.
Precautions With Ductless Range Hoods
- While doing electrical work, do not forget to turn off the electricity. Turning off electricity is a mandatory step that you must follow. Otherwise, it could be dangerous and even life-threatening.
- Always install ductless range hood with dry hands. Never use wet hands or clothes during installation.
- Must keep the distance between your stove and range hood.
- Always double-check the screws after tightening them.
How to Select a Best Range Hood For Kitchen
Before buying a ductless range hood, some features must be taken into consideration, such as
The higher the CFM, the higher the motor’s power to suck contaminants from the air. BFM measures that how much power will be required to eradicate dirt and recycle air. For an electric stove, 100 CFM is required for every ten inches of width on the cooktop. While buying, make sure that your range hood must have enough CFM to remove all the dirt from your kitchen.
When you are going to buy your range hood, select branded ductless range hood for long-lasting use. These brands are reputable for their quality product. They might seem expensive, but you won’t regret them in the end. So if you do not want to risk, spend your money on the branded ductless range hood.
Some ductless range hoods generate unbearable noise. So when you buy your range hood, keep in mind to check the noise intensity of your range hood because it affects your whole kitchen environment, and you would feel uncomfortable while cooking. Sometimes the noise becomes too irritating.
Filters are the most significant factor of ductless range hoods because they can perform the whole recycling or recirculating process. Only they can absorb dirt, oil, and odor from your kitchen. When you buy your Rangehood, you must check the quality of your filters according to your range hood. Buy the filters that can easily be cleaned.
A ductless range hood price depends on the CFM, power, and quality of the filters. So while buying a ductless range hood, budget is a big concern. Buy the easily affordable range hood for you.
Convenient to use
Many range hoods are not user-friendly. People find difficulty while using them. Keep into consideration your convenience when you are buying your range hood. It should be easy to use for you.
If you want to renovate your kitchen or if you want to replace your range hood with a new and reliable range hood, you do not have to worry. All the features, advantages, disadvantages, and critical features while buying a ductless range hood are given in the article. Those who don’t have a ventilation system in their kitchens can easily install the ductless range hood.
The above article can clear any query regarding ductless range hood. Ductless ranges are comparatively affordable and efficient. If you search for an excellent range hood, then a ductless range hood solves your problem, and it will help you work in your kitchen with ease and comfort.